J Cash Tribute has two women from audience for Daddy Sang Bass

Image may contain: 5 people, including Ter Scott, people smiling, people standing and guitarHere are a few videos were taken by a guest at the VFW in Cloquet MN at a recent performance. I'm wondering if I should do the "Johnny Cash look-a-like" character for certain occasions only and since this is just a "tribute" that I should dress the part (without the wig and makeup) and tell the story in narration and song as Ter Scott. I still have some considerations and tweaking to do as I continue doing these shows. I certainly invite your thoughts on that! 




Johnny Cash was sometimes known as "One note Johnny" because he sang songs that stayed within a mid-range and people remember his voice as the strong baritone voice which was said by Jack Clemmons to be able to pierce through all the instruments in the recording studio in such a way that he probably could have done fine without amplification. I believe that most people could probably hear his last recordings and if they didn't know it as Johnny (because his voice was "lighter" and had less of a bass timbre) may not know it is him.

Here I'm singing with two beautiful guests from the audience who take June's part in Daddy Sang Bass:



As a Johnny Cash Tribute artist, I certainly want to emulate him in as many ways as possible but his voice is a tough one to master. Sure, impersonators can mimic "Hello, I'm Johnny Cash" pretty close but to do a whole song in the voice of this great country icon (at least in my humble opinion) is near impossible. Plus, over Johnny's career you'll find that his early stuff like "Hey Porter" and "Cry, Cry, Cry" he was more in his tenor range and in his mid-career ("Folsom Prison Blues, 1969) he establishes that "gravelly" bass voice ("Daddy Sing Bass") which will forever be his trademark. For me, I put reverb on the microphone and sing in my baritone voice. Sometimes I am where his voice was but mostly I enjoy the songs and add a bit of narration in how he lived and performed in a way to entertain the audience in hopes that J Cash Lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment